Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, May 30, 2014

Dana Dolittle

Hello.  My name is Dana, and I talk to animals.  Yes, I berate bugs, chatter with the squirrels and compliment the birds on their lovely singing and beautiful colors.  I've pleaded with snakes, fussed with critters and laughed with ducks.  But above all, I talk to my dogs.  They are my children, and I talk to them as such.  They get reprimanded when they are bad (which isn't very often) and praised when they are good.  I chat with them throughout the day and often ask their opinion on less-important matters like whether I should clean the bathrooms first or the kitchen.  In fact, I even interpret their howls, whines and expressions for those who don't speak "dog."  Some think I'm crazy.  Some have even gone so far as to call me that to my face.  But that's okay.  I'm just following in God's footsteps, for He talked to animals too, and I can prove it!

Remember Jonah and the whale?  This is what the Bible says in Jonah 2:10:  And the Lord spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.  See, God spoke to the fish, but that's not all.

Remember Elijah during the drought?  Here's what the Bible says about that:  And it shall be, that thou shalt drink of the brook; and I have commanded the ravens to feed thee there. (I Kings 17:4)  God spoke to the birds, but that's still not all.

How about the two occasions where the disciples went out fishing and came back empty-handed?
And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net. And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake. (Luke 5:5-6)  Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No. And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes. (John 21:5-6)  Someone had to tell those fish when to come and when to go.  Someone had to tell them to stay on the right side of the boat.  And I only know of one "Someone" who can command the fish.

I'm sure there are other Biblical examples that I could name.  God spoke through Balaam's donkey.  He had many other dealings with a variety of animals.  But the point is that I have Scriptural proof that He talked to animals and furthermore, they understood Him.  So, don't give me a hard time if I carry on a conversation with my pooches.  They, at least, act like they're paying attention to me, which is more than I can say for some people.  Besides, who's to say that they don't understand far more than we give them credit for?  So, you see, I'm not crazy.  I'm simply trying to conform to the image of God.

Now, if you'll excuse me.  Mitch is telling me it's time for his daily brushing.


No comments: