Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Am I Really That Selfish? - Repost


I've never really thought of myself as a selfish person. I love to share. I love to give. I often put others' needs before my own. I thought I was in pretty good shape with this one. I thought this was one area I had under control, but God showed me otherwise.

There's been a lot going on in my life recently. Satan has really been fighting, and unfortunately he's been winning most of the time. It seems like as soon as I'm done battling one problem, another comes to take its place. So, what have I been doing? Well, I've been trying to fight in the strength of the Lord. I've been praying. I've been reading my Bible, searching for things that will help me. I've been TRYING to trust the Lord and follow His leadership. Sounds good, right? Sounds like I'm doing all the right things, huh? I thought so too. I was wrong.

I've become so obsessed with my problems and my situations, that I really haven't cared about anyone else. My prayer life has completely revolved around me. "Lord, help me. I have this problem. I have this need. Show me the way." It's all been about me. I've been so consumed with the troubles in my own life that I've turned a blind eye to the troubles of others. I've stopped praying for my friends and family. I've forgotten to pray for those who don't know the Lord. Nothing else seems to matter. My Bible reading is the same. I haven't been reading to hear what the Lord wants to say to me. I've been reading the find the answers that I want. Me, me, me. It's all been about me. And, it's time for that to stop!!!!!!!

Yes, I should pray about my problems, and I should seek the Lord's leadership, but not to the exclusion of everything else. We've all heard the acronym for the word "JOY" -- Jesus, Others, You. That truly is the key to living a balanced Christian life. I think I'll try it!

No comments: