Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, January 18, 2010

Walking Through the Water?


Saturday morning I had the opportunity to walk on water. . .twice! Well, actually, I walked through the water. We arrived home at 4:00 Saturday morning after attending a concert in Marietta, GA the night before. The concert was a blessing, so I should have known Satan would be waiting to kick me down.

As I entered the bathroom, I quickly realized I was standing in an inch of very cold water. After further examination, we realized that one of the valves on the back of the sink was leaking. Not wanting to deal with the problem at 4:00 AM, Jason turned off the water to the sink, and we went to bed for some much-needed sleep.

When we awoke, we decided to take things easy. We opted for breakfast in bed where we could set up the laptop and watch a little Star Trek Voyager. Fixing breakfast had been interesting due to the frozen pipes and the lack of running water in the kitchen, but we managed.

About the time we were finishing our breakfast, I heard the sound of running water. "Do hear water running?" I asked Jason. I left the bedroom and immediately noticed that the kitchen sink was running full blast. Evidently Jason had turned the water on in hopes that the pipes would soon thaw. The problem was that the faucets had thawed out but the drain hadn't. So all that water was running (and had been running) but with no place to go except. . .you guessed it. . .the floor.

For the second time in just a few hours I found myself standing in water. This time the water was about two inches deep and covered the entire kitchen floor as well as both sinks, the counter, everything on the counter, etc. Just like Peter when he walked on the water, I focused my attention on the storm instead of the Savior.

As my husband worked to clean up the mess (thankfully, he had his work equipment at the house), I stood in the middle of the living room. I couldn't cry. I couldn't laugh. All I could do was stand there. Just like Peter, I could barely utter a cry for help.

Isn't it good to know that when we don't know what to do, God's already working? Isn't it good to know that He knows what we need before we ask? Isn't it good to know that He can hear our cries before we ever utter them? And best of all, isn't it good to know that He's reaching down to lift us up from where we're sinking in despair?

Whether we're walking on water or walking through water, God is with us. He knows what we need. He knows how frail our faith is. He will save us. Let's reach out to Him today and allow Him to pull us to safety.

No comments: