Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, January 29, 2010

Watch Where You Step!


Because of Jason's work schedule, we are not able to take the dogs out hiking on a regular basis anymore. As a result, I've noticed a few things. First of all, none of us seem to have the energy that we had back then. Second, we're all putting on weight. Third, our emotions are not as stable. We're more prone to "the blahs." And last but not least, the piles of poop in my yard have multiplied by a factor of ten. It's not the dogs' fault. (Well, it is, but they can't help it.) When you gotta go, you gotta go. I understand that, but I'm just not adjusted to all the new land mines.

I went out to the back of our property to dump some of the ashes from the wood stove. I had to plot a path around the piles. Anyone watching me may have thought I had been into the whiskey, the way I was weaving back and forth. The path was chaotic, but it was better than the alternative. I hate cleaning poop off my shoes!!!! So, I weaved my way out to the back and then weaved my way back to the house. I was successful in avoiding all land mines.

The whole process reminds me of our walk through life. There are many obstacles in our way that we must avoid, but in order to avoid them, we must pay attention. If I had not watched every step, I could have easily landed in a gushy pile of poop. Life is the same. We must be watchful. We must watch each and every step.

Thankfully, the Lord is our Guide; however, that doesn't stop Satan from planting obstacles in our path. It's our job to be paying attention and listening closely for the voice of our Guide as He steers us in the right direction and out of harm's way. It takes a lot of hard work and a great deal of focus, but it will keep our shoes clean and lives from smelling unsavory.

So as you travel down life's road today, I caution you to watch your step. There are land mines all about, and many of them are far worse than a poop pile. Watch. Listen. Follow. The Lord will get you through!

No comments: