Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Somebody's Watching Me!


I recently watched the 2006 NQC Parade of Pianos DVD. That video was the last recording featuring Roger Bennett, former pianist of The Cathedrals and Legacy Five. I cried my eyes out as Roger stood tall, one leg in a cast, his body weak from the cancer and the medication, and with all the feeling he could muster, raised his voice in singing "It Is Well With My Soul." Roger went home to be with the Lord in March of 2007 after an 11-year battle with leukemia.

What many people don't know is that Roger was much more than just a pianist. He was also a singer, a songwriter, and quite a comedian. He was also one of my heroes of the faith -- not because of what he did, but because of why and how he did it. Roger Bennett lived his faith. He truly loved the Lord, and that love showed in everything he did. Even now, his testimony encourages me in my Christian walk and service.

Now that Roger is in Heaven, I believe he knows what an impact his life had on me and many others. On earth, however, he wouldn't have known me at all. While he was alive, he had no idea that this impressionable young lady was studying him and admiring his good attitude through life's storms.

It's a very sobering thought to think that someone may be watching me in the same way. If they are, what do they see -- a fitting role model or a sorry excuse for a Christian? It's a thought that helps keep me on my toes.

We never know who may be watching us. We never know whose lives we may influence by the way we handle difficult circumstances. Whether we like it or not, our Christian walk is on display. Wouldn't it be a pity to get to Heaven and find out that no one thought us worthy of being role models?

No comments: