Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Talk About Stinkin' Thinkin'

Today, I'd like to do something that I rarely do--I'm posting a blog just for me.  First off, let me say that this is a re-post, so if it sounds familiar, you'll understand why.  Second, the reason I'm doing a re-post (particularly this post) is frankly because I needed to hear/read it.  I hope you, too, will receive a blessing from it.


I spend a lot of time at the computer.  Some days more than others.  Then, of course, there are some days when my mind is ready to get up but my body is determined to stay and finish the work.  These days do not bode well.  The conflict between mind and body produces some. . . well, let's just say, interesting results.

Such was the case a couple of days ago when I was typing out my blog entry.  I had already written an article for a company I do freelance work for, prepared my lessons for my college class that evening, answered e-mails and done some editing on my book.  I needed a break.  I should have taken one.  But, no.  Adamant to finish my blogs before I rose from my desk, I soldiered on.

Perhaps that's why one of the sentences I was typing didn't quite say what I meant for it to say.  I was referring to an instance where something popped into my mind, only that's not what I typed.  In my bleary state, I typed "a thought pooped into my mind."  Once I realized my mistake, I had a good laugh. You know, that giggly kind where you're still laughing four hours later.  (I told you I was tired!)  Anyway, I corrected the mistake and carried on with my posting, which, by the way, if you noticed anything strange in one of my recent posts, please let me know.  I'll fix it right away.  I'll be the first to admit that I'm not perfect and errors slip by me, as I'm sure you've noticed.

As I thought (and giggled) about the mistake, I realized that thoughts "poop" into my mind all the time.  It's what I call stinkin' thinkin'.  You know what I mean.  I'm talking about those thoughts that are ugly, misleading and downright dangerous.  Those thoughts that make you bitter.  Those thoughts that stir up anger.  Those thoughts that slip in unannounced and then take over.  One minute you're singing, "Praise God from whom all blessings flow," and the next you're saying, "I can't believe I'm having to do all this work while he's sitting there doing nothing."  "I can't believe she had the nerve to say something about me being disorganized when she's the most disorganized person I've ever met.  "I guess if the sheets are going to get printed off, I'll have to do it.  After all, I do everything else."  "Why is it I never hear from this person until they want something from me?"

Wow, do you smell it?  Like a fresh pile of manure, isn't it?  Bitter.  Resentful.  Proud.  Angry.  Frustrated.  And sneaky.  They're there before we even realize it, and often, before we can catch them, they've already dictated our mood.  Gone is the attitude of praise.  Gone is the thought of worship.  And in their place--nasty, smelly, poopy thoughts.

Am I the only one who struggles with this?  Does anyone else have trouble putting Philippians 4:8 into practice?  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Think on these things.  Things that are positive.  Things that make you feel good.  Things that put you in the proper frame of mind.  Things that set your heart upon worship and praise.  If a thought doesn't fit into one of those categories, it needs to be dealt with, and fast!  Stinkin' thinkin' doesn't lead to anything good.  On the contrary, stinkin' thinkin' leads to stinkin' attitudes which lead to stinkin' actions and stinkin' reactions.  Then the process continues and repeats.

It's time to stop the stink!  The next time a thought pops into your mind, make sure that's all it's doing.  No pooping allowed!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Thanks for the chuckle this morning! Amen to that!

Dana Rongione said...

You're quite welcome, Barbara. It's crazy the things my mind comes up with sometimes.