Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, October 6, 2014

Why Wouldn't I?

As many of you know, I am, once again, on the lookout for healthy meals and stress-relieving exercises to add to my daily schedule.  So, as part of that process, yesterday I started a new breakfast smoothie. It is a greens smoothie that contains fourteen nutrient-packed ingredients, including fruits, vegetables, seeds and spices.  My first concern was that the smoothie would taste like grass and that I would have to force myself to choke it down.  Thankfully, that is not the case.  I won't lie to you and tell you that it tastes like chocolate cake (if only!), but it really isn't bad at all, especially considering all the healthy stuff in it.

My second concern was that this smoothie, like so many other things I've tried, would fail to live up to my expectations.  I didn't expect it to taste good, but I did expect it to make me feel better, especially after reading the testimonials about it.  I knew it was good for me, so I wanted to try it.  But I know me.  If it didn't live up to my expectations, it wouldn't last.  Despite the goodness and health benefits, I would give up the smoothie if I didn't notice some improvement in the way I felt.  So, I admit, I was a bit skeptical about trying it, but as affordable as it was, I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

I am amazed!  On the very first day, I had more energy than I've had in years.  Now, I'm not talking about bouncing off the walls energy, but the steady, calm energy that sticks with you throughout the day without the highs and lows you get from sugar and caffeine.  I usually crash by 6:00 in the evening, but last night, I was cooking and making the bed at 9:00.  I just kept going (sort of like the Energizer bunny.)

Not only did I have energy, but I also had focus and the ability to concentrate throughout the day.  My mind didn't feel sluggish and cloudy.  My thoughts were clear, and my moods were stable (which is not typical for me).  And when I went to bed last night, despite Jason having to work the night shift, I slept like the dead.  I didn't wake up when he came home at 2:00 in the morning.  I didn't even get up once during the night to go to the bathroom (that is DEFINITELY not typical for me).  I slept a deep, restful sleep and woke up this morning feeling refreshed and well-rested (which is more than I can say for my poor hubby).

This morning, I decided to squeeze in a quick walk before the rain came in, and after that, guess what I did.  Yep, I drank my smoothie.  Why wouldn't I?  It doesn't taste bad, and after seeing the energy, focus and rest I had yesterday, why wouldn't I give it another try today?  So far, I'm seeing the exact same results, despite the dreary rain outside.  I am alert and focused.  I feel good, and I'm looking forward to the day.  I do believe I have found myself a healthy, new habit!

As I drank my smoothie this morning, though, I wondered why I so often neglect the things that make me feel better.   Spending time with God each morning does far more good than any smoothie, yet so many times I feel that I can't spare the time.  I know I need the fellowship with Him.  I know that the time spent with Him will strengthen me for the day.  I know that in His presence I'll find peace and joy that I can carry with me throughout the day.  Yet, I shrug it off as unimportant because I have too much to do. 

What's the matter with me?  Am I crazy?  I am now committed to drinking my smoothies every day because I've seen the benefits of doing so.  Haven't I seen the benefits that come from spending daily time with the Lord?  Sure, I have.  So why am I not just as committed to that as I am to my smoothies?  Isn't my spiritual health more important than my physical health?

As these thoughts flooded my mind this morning, I came up with a new morning routine.  As usual, I'll feed the dogs and pack Jason's lunch.  Then I'll do my morning prayer walk.  After that, I'll drink my smoothie while I spend time in God's Word.  The walking and smoothies will aid in my physical health while the prayer time and Bible reading will aid in my spiritual health.  And I can work on both at the same time.  Hallelujah!

I won't ask you about your eating habits.  That's between you and the Lord.  But I do want to ask you this:  are you committed to spending time with the Lord each and every day?  If not, why not?  I'm sure you're aware of the benefits.  So what's stopping you?

**********
If you're interested in information about my new greens smoothie, you can find the recipe here.  Just a note, I spent an hour one day chopping up all the fruits and vegetables and tossed everything except for the water in freezer bags.  That way, I had a week's worth of smoothies without having to make a mess in the kitchen every morning.  I also omit the cinnamon because I'm allergic, but it has loads of health benefits, so feel free to add it.  Before I go for my prayer walk, I place the freezer bag of goodies in the sink, and by the time I get back (about an hour later), it's defrosted enough to throw in the blender.  Just don't forget to add the water!

No comments: