Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, October 20, 2014

Who's Your Daddy?

As I thought about what to write this morning, I simply couldn't escape thoughts of the series I've been teaching in Sunday School.  Well, actually, it's a series within a series.  The main series is Miracles of the Old Testament, but we are currently studying about Elijah's contest with the prophets of Baal.  Being one of my favorite stories in the Bible, I thought I knew it inside and out, but the Lord has revealed some interesting points to me throughout the past few weeks.  One of those is the thought I would like to share with you today.

Allow me to set the scene.  Elijah has challenged the 450 prophets of Baal to a little contest.  Each would build an altar with a sacrifice, then cry out to their God/god.  The God/god to answer by fire would be declared the one true God.  Simple.  Direct.  I like it!  Elijah even allows the prophets of Baal to go first.  So they build the altar, place the sacrifice on top and cry out to Baal.  And they cry and cry and cry.  After a few hours, the prophets begin leaping on the altar, still crying out to Baal to send down fire to consume the offering (and the altar on which they're standing).  Duh!  In fact, Elijah has the same attitude I do.

And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked. - I Kings 18:27

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who gets a little sarcastic from time to time.  I wonder if Elijah was a red-head too.  Anyway, he mocks, but it's what he says during his mocking that made me stop and think.  Not about Baal, but about my God, the one true God.  Look at what Elijah says:

Maybe he is talking -- Isn't it good to know that God can talk to you and listen to me at the same time, or vice versa?  God can be talking to hearts all around the world and listening to different hearts at the same time.  The line of communication with God has no "hold" button.  While He is a personal Savior, He can deal with many on a personal level all at the same time.  Baal couldn't do that.  Neither can any other god.  But my God can!

Maybe he is pursuing -- The Bible teaches us that our Lord is a Shepherd, searching for His lost sheep.  He is pursuing those who have gone astray.  But unlike the parable of the shepherd who left his fold of ninety-nine to go out and find the one, our God never needs to leave.  He can search for that one lost lamb while remaining with the other ninety-nine.  None of His sheep are ever alone.

Maybe he is on a journey -- Well, that goes right along with what I just said.  God doesn't leave His children alone.  He never takes a vacation from them, even though I wouldn't blame Him if He did.  Despite our faults and failures, He sticks with us through thick and thin.  When we call, He's there. . . always!

Maybe he's asleep -- Can you imagine what God would miss if He were to go to sleep?  How would He know about my problems?  How would He hear my praise?  How could He protect me?  He couldn't, and that's why He never sleeps.  Never!  He doesn't grow tired.  He doesn't "faze out" for a minute or two.  He doesn't miss a thing because He's always paying attention.  He is alert.  He is on watch.  And I'm so thrilled to know that I don't have to wake Him up every time I want to talk with Him.

My dear friends, we serve a wonderful God!  He is so loving and true.  He takes such good care of us and watches over us despite our stubbornness and pride.  He is our Father, Shepherd, Friend and so much more.  What a privilege to be His child!  

If you don't know this relationship with God, I urge you to accept His free gift of salvation today.  I'd be happy to show you the way.  You don't want to miss out like the prophets of Baal did.  Notice this verse:


And it came to pass, when midday was past, and they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that there was neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any that regarded. - I Kings 18:29

Did you catch that?  Not only did they not receive fire, but they didn't even get an answer of any kind.  On top of that, notice the phrase, "nor any to answer."  It doesn't say simply that there wasn't an answer but that there wasn't anyone or anything to answer.  The god they were praying to didn't exist.  And all the while, they ignored the one true God who could give them everything they needed.  Don't miss out on knowing a love unlike any other.  Ask Jesus to save you today!  No matter what you have done, you'll be welcomed into the fold of God.

No comments: