Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

How Do We Abide in Christ?

This morning, I have been pondering abiding in Christ.  For that reason, I feel the Lord would have me share with you an excerpt from my personal journal this morning.  I pray it will be a blessing to you.  Lord willing, we'll get back to our study through the Psalms tomorrow.



I am always a bit confused by the thought of abiding in Christ. To abide is not to do but rather to be. Being has always been much harder for me than doing. By nature, I'm busy. Productivity seems to be the benchmark by which I judge my faithfulness to the Lord, yet I always find myself lacking.

According to Max Lucado, abiding is the process of being at home. When I am at home, I feel safe and protected. I am comfortable and know I can be myself. No costumes or disguises are needed—just plain me. There is also great familiarity. Despite my lack of direction, I need no map within my home. I know where to go and which way to turn to find what I need or what I seek. Safe. Comfortable. Familiar. This is what it means to abide in Christ.

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. - John 15:4-5



2 comments:

Susan said...

Good thoughts here, Dana -- from another who struggles with "being" vs "doing."

Dana Rongione said...

Thanks, Susan!