Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, September 1, 2017

Who Do You Think I Am? - Our Fortress

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. - Psalm 18:2

Today, we will talk about how God is our fortress.  According to the online dictionary, a fortress is a military stronghold, especially a strongly fortified town fit for a large garrison; a heavily protected and impenetrable building; a person or thing not susceptible to outside influence or disturbance.  Being a lover of all things medieval, I was familiar with the first two definitions.  After all, what's King Arthur without a fortress, right?  (Funny thing, in most of the shows and movies, though Camelot is stated to be invincible, it is forever being broken into or assaulted in some way or another.  Not my point today, but just thought you might enjoy that little tidbit.)

Anyway, when we think of a fortress, our minds envision solid rock walls, iron bars or railings and lots of guards, right?  Mine does, so when I read the last definition, I had to stop and say a quick "Hallelujah!"  Not to say it's not impressive that God is our stronghold, but in a sense, we already covered that when we discussed Him as our refuge.  In His grip and by His grace, we are safe from anything He does not want to allow through.  He is the One in control, and that's what makes the last definition such an encouraging thought:  a person or thing not susceptible to outside influence or disturbance.

Nothing, and I repeat nothing, can sway God.  He is not affected by our faith or lack thereof.  He is not limited by any circumstances.  Never has a situation arose where He stepped back and said, "Well, I didn't see that coming.  Now I must rework my plan."  He knows all, sees all and understands all.  He knows when and how we will fail and has already worked those things into His will.  No matter how badly we mess up or how ugly things get, it is impossible to "throw off His groove."  He is on the outside looking in, unaffected by outside influences or disturbances, which means He doesn't panic, fret or have second thoughts.  His way is sure, and we can take comfort in that.  He will never lead us astray.

In a world where things are changing and moods swing wildly from one extreme to another, isn't it great to know God is the same yesterday, today and forever?  Never changing.  Never undecided or uncertain.  Always confident in what is best for us and always willing to allow us into the safety of His arms.  He is our fortress, and if anything or anyone wants to get to us, they have to go through Him first.  Good luck with that!


No comments: