Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, September 8, 2017

Who Do You Think I Am? - Our High Tower

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. - Psalm 18:2

Have I ever told you I dislike heights?  Okay, that may be putting it mildly.  I hate heights!  I'm fine with standing on top of a mountain and looking out at the horizon, but please don't ask me to look down.  Terrible things happen when I look below from an uncomfortable height.


I recall many years ago when our senior class took a trip to Chicago.  During our week's vacation, we visited several interesting sights like the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, and even FAO Swartz.  And what Chicago trip would be complete without a visit to the Sears Tower?  I can remember standing at the base of the building and tipping my head back as far as it would go.  I still couldn't see the top, but no worries.  Before I realized what was happening, we were making our way to the top floor, of which the walls are made almost entirely of glass.

As soon as the elevator doors opened, I knew I was in trouble.  There was nowhere to turn.  Not only did the floor-to-ceiling windows make it impossible to ignore the view, but the odd tilt of the windows ensured that viewers saw both out and down.  Thanks for that!  I spent the next twenty minutes hiding in the bathroom.  Let's just say I felt much more comfortable with the sharks in the aquarium and the mummies in the museum.

Fortunately, when referring to God as my high tower, I feel no fear at all.  I love this title because it seems to merge the terms refuge, fortress, rock and most high into one collective phrase:  my high tower.  Not only is God above all things, but He offers me a place of protection above all things as well.  In His care, I am out of the reach of the enemy, and I am also provided a view unlike any other.  The giants that seemed so tall at ground level are mere ants in appearance from this lofty height.  The problems that loomed so wide are nothing more than a thin vapor.  Seeing things from God's perspective is a sure remedy for anxiety and stress.

As our high tower, God offers us a place of refuge far beyond the reach of our enemies.  He has a vantage point that is unlike anything we can fathom as He tells us in Isaiah 55:9, For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.  And with such a perspective, He sees what is coming long before we do.  He knows when trouble is on its way, and He calls us into the safety of His embrace.  He is a tower that cannot be breached much like the tower that imprisoned Rapunzel.  The only way the enemy is getting to us is if we allow him in or fail to run to the shelter of the tower.  We have a choice!


No comments: