Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Who Do You Think I Am? - Our Redeemer

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer. - Psalm 19:14

I told you yesterday how salvation has been on my mind lately.  Interestingly enough, today's term for God (the next one I came across, I promise) is our Redeemer, which gives reference again to salvation.  To redeem means "to buy back" or "to offer a ransom."


Before salvation, not only are we dead in trespasses and sins (as we discussed yesterday), but we are also prisoners.  We are in bondage to sin and death with no way of ever getting ourselves free.  But Christ paid a high price on Calvary so that we could have the opportunity to be free.  He died a horrible death and paid the ransom for our deliverance.  Now, it is up to us whether or not to accept His great sacrifice.  The debt has been paid.  Salvation is ours if we'll only accept it.

For the Christian, the term "Redeemer" carries with it much more weight than the price paid on Calvary, though that would certainly be enough for which to praise God.  I think the best explanation for a Christian's view of our Redeemer can be found in the popular song, Because He Lives.  "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.  Because He lives, all fear is gone.  Because I know Who holds the future, and life is worth the living just because He lives."

Our Redeemer died for our sins, but now He lives.  He sits on the throne and controls all things.  He knows all, sees all, and hears all.  Nothing eludes Him or escapes His attention.  He is never otherwise occupied to the point that He's absent from our lives.  He is ever-present, all-powerful and all-knowing.  He loves and cares.  He counsels and comforts.  He is our all and all, and because our Redeemer lives, we can face tomorrow and the tomorrow after that.

Do you know the Redeemer today?  Have you experienced His great power in your life?  If not, I beg you to accept Him into your life before it's too late.  He's waiting for you!

For those of you who have met the Redeemer, are you trusting Him with your physical life as you have with your eternal one?  What does it mean to you to know that our Redeemer lives and how does this give you hope?


No comments: