Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, October 6, 2008

Facing the Obstacles

Why is it in life that every time you get things rolling, something happens that causes you to lose your rhythm? Isn't it frustrating? I'll give you an example. Things were rolling along quite well in my writing. I've just finished the rough draft of my new book, and I have a couple of other projects that I'm working on. I've being doing good to meet my daily writing goals and to stay focused on my projects. Things seemed to be going well, after all, I'm doing the work the Lord called me to do. Right?

I woke up yesterday morning with a severe pain in my neck and left shoulder. The pain continued all day, working its way down my left arm. It didn't take me long to realize that I had done something to aggravate my bursitis. The last time it acted up, I was out of commission for nearly a month. A MONTH! I can't afford to lose a month of work, but just typing this short post is killing me.

During times like this, I can't help but turn my face to the skies and ask, "Why, God?" Why must we face obstacles when we're doing the Lord's work? Why would God lead us to do a work and then make that path so difficult to travel? I believe that the answer is that God is helping us to grow in our Christian walk.

Have you ever heard of growing pains? Well, they're not just physical. Spiritual growth can cause some growing pains as well. But, think about it. If everything in our lives were simple, we would have no need to grow. We would grow complacent in our current state. That's not acceptable to the Lord. He wants our faith to grow. He wants to see more and more of the fruit of the Spirit in our lives. In order for this to occur, we must face some obstacles.

Let me hasten to say that understanding the process does not make it any less painful. I am in pain. I'm frustrated because I can't do my work. I'm discouraged because I lost my rhythm. However, I am NOT defeated because I know that this is for my good. I may not like it, but I know I need it. So, as I stand here facing today's problem, I must make a choice. Am I going to look at the obstacle, or am I going to focus on the One who will get me through? I think the answer is obvious!

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

No comments: