Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wings Like a Dove

And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest. Psalm 55:6

What a beautiful verse! So poetic! So applicable! I know I've had the same feelings that David portrays in this verse. When life gets overwhelming, I cry for a way to get away from it all and to be at rest. I think we all often feel that way, but most of us are unsure how to express it. David allowed his heart to speak.

I don't have the time or opportunity to drop everything and go on a vacation every time life gets tough. Do you? I didn't think so. But, all hope is not lost. There is still a way for us to find peace and be at rest in the midst of life's complications.

First, pray. I know it sounds simple, but you'll be amazed how much more peace you have once you turn the problem over to God. Things won't seem so bad, and rest will seem within reach.

Second, take a walk. All of us can find 15 minutes to take a walk. I suggest walking in a pleasant environment, if at all possible. For example, I love to walk at the local park. There is a river and a waterfall. It is peaceful and soothing to me. It takes a little extra time because I have to drive there, but it's well worth it to me. However, if it's not possible to go somewhere nice, just walk wherever you can. It is an exercise that is not only good for the body, but also for the mind. As you walk, don't focus on your problems. Focus on the walk, on your breathing, and on all the things you are thankful for. If you really want to save time, pray while you walk, and you can kill two birds with one stone.

Third, close your eyes and allow your mind to drift to an imaginary place or a place you would love to visit. Spend five to ten minutes dreaming of this place. See, smell, touch. Incorporate as many of your senses as you can as you picture yourself in this peaceful place. When your time is up, before you open your eyes, promise yourself that you can return to this place any time you need to. After that, take three deep breaths, and open your eyes.

While it's not always feasible to get away when we need to, the above exercises will help us to deal with life's interruptions. They will make it possible for us to keep going until our next "real" vacation. We may not be able to fly away, but we can be at rest.

No comments: