Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Singing With Understanding

Have you ever found yourself singing a song but not really paying attention to what you're singing? I've had times where I lifted my voice in joyous song, the words rolling off my tongue, but the meaning completely lost to me. It's not that I didn't understand what I was singing. It's just that I wasn't paying attention. Don't look at me that way. I know you've done the same thing. How many times have we stood in church and sung, "I Surrender All" without even heeding the promise we were making?

In Psalm 47:7, the author says, For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding. Did you catch that? Don't just sing it; mean it! That might limit our song choices a little. Won't it? For example, there's a song that I absolutely refuse to sing. It's a beautiful song entitled "Whatever It Takes." The song basically tells the Lord that I will be willing to do anything or give up anything for Him. Not just that, but that I'll do it gladly. I'd love to say that I know for a fact that I am in that position. However, when I think of Job, I ask myself if I'm REALLY willing to face that. I want to be, but I don't think I've arrived at that place yet. So, I don't sing the song because if I did, it would be a lie.

I often hear people comment on a particular song, about how beautiful the music is and everything. Then, when I hear it, I discover that it's completely against the Scriptures. The doctrine is messed up or the message is just wrong! But, it's a beautiful song because the music is pretty? Oh, we'd better be careful.

The Bible encourages us over and over again to sing praises unto the Lord. But, if we don't mean it, we shouldn't sing it. So, to keep from making this mistake, we would do well to pay attention to what we are singing. Sing? Yes! But, sing with understanding.

Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands: sing forth the honour of his name: make his praise glorious.
Psalm 66:1-2

No comments: