Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, August 4, 2017

Ain't Skeered

Yesterday, we began a series entitled Four Things To Do When Facing Your Red Sea. In case you missed the first post, you can read it here. Today, we'll be discussing the first step in the process: Fear not. 

That's quite a mouthful for two short words. Fear not. How can we not be afraid when our enemies are bearing down on us? Is it possible to be fearless when we're stuck between a rock and a hard place? When facing the impossible, isn't fear the natural response?

Yes and no. Fear is the natural reaction of the flesh, but it should not be the natural response of the spirit. Second Timothy 1:7 tells us, For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. So, if God didn't give us fear, where is it coming from? Nowhere good, I'll tell you that.

I've heard it said the phrase "fear not" appears 365 times in the Bible. Honestly, I can't say I've counted them, so I don't know if that's true. I do know, however, that there are many verses where God emphasizes the importance of not being afraid. No matter the wording, the message is the same, "Fear not." If He said it once, it was important. If He said it twice, it was critical. How imperative do you think this commandment is if God issued it hundreds of times? And yes, I said "commandment" because that's what it is. It isn't a request or suggestion. God says, "Do not be afraid."

So, I return to my initial question: How? How is it possible to walk through the dark shadows and lonely places and not be afraid? It all boils down to one word: Faith. Where there is faith, there is no fear. Faith is more than belief. It is trusting God in such a powerful and complete way that you know He's got your back and nothing will happen to you that He does not allow. It is an unwavering certainty that God is in control and that He will do what He has said He will do. Fear looks at life's uncertainties and whispers, "But I don't understand how. . ." Faith looks at the same situation and says, "I don't understand how, but I know Who is working." Faith focuses on what is known rather than what isn't. 

As you stare at the Red Sea in front of you, I encourage you to follow God's command: fear not. He is with you. He will never leave you. Nothing is impossible for Him, and He has promised to work all things together for your good. Will you trust Him? Will you turn your eyes away from the choppy waves and look instead into the calm face of the Savior?

Have faith, dear one. God can be trusted!

4 comments:

Glen Follweiter said...

Thanks Dana. Have a good weekend. Oh and no giggling in the sound booth. Just joking..may the joy of the Lord flow thru u and Jason.Very smokey here in BC. Our air quality was 49 yesterday. Yucky.
Glen

Dana Rongione said...

I'll do my best, Glen, but no promises! I pray things clear up for you there.

Barbara Center said...

I needed this today. Thank you Dana for always encouraging me.

Dana Rongione said...

Anytime, Barbara! That's what God has called me to do, and I'm loving it!