Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Am I the Same Person I Was Yesterday?

While on this journey to overcome anxiety and depression, I discovered that not only did I need to watch out for comparing myself to others, but I also needed to make sure that I didn’t compare myself to myself. Huh? I’ll explain. Have you ever caught yourself making comments like “I used to be able to do this,” or “When I was younger, I could. . .” When we do this, we’re breaking two of our “eye rules.” First, we’re looking at the past. And second, we’re comparing ourselves to someone else—a previous self.

You know what? I’m not twenty years old anymore, so it stands to reason that I can’t do some of the things that I could when I was twenty. It doesn’t do me any good to whine about it or to dwell on the “good ole’ days. Press on. Move forward. I am a new me. You are a new you. Don’t compare yourself to the you of ten years ago or even ten months ago. Each day is an opportunity to grow and improve, so each day, we’ll be a different person than we were the day before. 

Remember, it’s not about what we see. It’s what God sees, and if we’re living according to His will and doing all things for His glory, then what He sees is wonderful indeed!

But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen. - II Peter 3:18

***Excerpt from Rise Up and Build:  A Biblical Approach To Dealing With Anxiety and Depression  -- Now available in Paperback and Kindle




No comments: