Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, August 11, 2017

Going Back for Seconds

I don't like bugs. They're creepy and crawly. They have no concept of personal space, and they're forever wandering in uninvited. That being said, sometimes I enjoy watching the busy little creatures. After all, if God tells us to be more like the ant, it stands to reason that bugs can teach us something. And I had just such a lesson the other day.

I was watching a particular insect crawl across the window sill when suddenly, it ran into a spider web. (Don't judge me! You probably have a few spider webs in your house too, right?) Anyhow, as his front feet encountered the sticky web, he immediately backed up, turned around and hurried the other way.

I wanted to applaud him for his effort and good sense, but before I could, he did a 180 and headed back toward the web again. "What are you doing?" I cried. "You know that's dangerous. You were lucky to get away last time. Don't do it!" (Yes, I was getting emotional. What can I say? I'm wired that way.) So, Mr. Bug waddled his way back to the web and once again got his front feet stuck. In a panic, he fought until he was free and hurried off in the other direction.

Unfortunately, he didn't go very far before he turned around again and went right back to the danger zone, only this time, he wandered in a little too far and got himself stuck permanently. In a way, I felt sorry for him, but a part of me argued, "You dumb bug! You knew it was dangerous. You almost got stuck twice. Why, oh why did you have to go back again?"

I believe God often asks us the same question. Why do we return to sin? Why do we turn back to the people who have hurt us? Why do we turn away from the good and right and run to danger? I guess we're no smarter than the bug. We fail to realize that while there is pleasure in sin for a season, there are always consequences. Sure, it may seem like we're getting away with something or perhaps like our sin is just a "little sin" and no big issue. But I remind you that Jesus died for all sin, even those we label as little. Sin is sin. Wrong is wrong. Danger is danger.

Over the past several months, I've been working hard on my health, and one of the biggest changes I've made where my diet is concerned is to stop going back for seconds. I don't need seconds. If I give my food time to digest properly, I soon realize that I've had enough. I don't need more. Now God is teaching me the same when it comes to sin and temptation. Once I've seen the danger, I need to retreat and never turn back. Seconds are not an option.

In what areas are you struggling? Do you return to sin or maybe to people who are toxic to your
Christian walk? I pray you'll heed the lesson of the bug. Stop going back for more. God has a better way, a better life, and better opportunities in store for you, but you'll never reach them if you're too busy going back. Press forward. That is where your future lies.

Now, if you would please join me in a moment of silent prayer for the dumb bug which gave his life so we might learn this lesson.

For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire. - II Peter 2:20-22

2 comments:

Glen Follweiter said...

Thanks for a good reminder Dana.Thanks for your sacrifice Mr bug so we could have an example of how not to live. Have another blessed weekend Jason and Dana. Less smoke here in BC today. Thanks God.
PS. I can relate about going back for second helpings.....stop Glen stop..

Dana Rongione said...

Thanks, Glen. We've had wet weather all week, and tomorrow is supposed to continue the pattern. Unfortunately, Jason also has to work tomorrow, so we may have to skip our weekly hike (which will be fun to try to explain to the dog). Nevertheless, God is good and has blessed in many ways.

As for second helpings, I'm definitely getting better, but every now and then, I still want a little more. Oh me!