Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Are You Watching the Storm or the God of the Storm?

We are continuing our series, Four Things To Do When Facing Your Red Sea. We have already established that we should not be fearful of the obstacle we're facing, and instead of plowing ahead and trying to do things our own way, we need to be patient and wait on God. Today, we'll cover step #3: Watch carefully. 

And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever. The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace. - Exodus 14:13-14 

See the salvation of the Lord. Notice Moses told them to look to God. Don't focus on the sea before you or the enemy behind you. Don't worry about what your friends are doing. Don't focus your attention on what you don't have or can't do. Look to God and watch Him work. It sounds simple enough, but if we stop and think about it, we realize it's not simple at all.

I don't know about you, but I'm not the type of person who can sit back and do nothing while someone else is busy at work. If Jason is working in the kitchen, it feels wrong for me to sit down in the living room and read a book or watch television. I ought to be helping or maybe even performing a different task (Heaven knows there are always plenty of things to do).  I realize this doesn't bother some people. For example, when the roles are reversed, Jason has no problem sitting on the couch reading a magazine while I fix dinner or do dishes. It doesn't phase him at all. That's fine, but it drives me crazy. I don't like feeling unproductive, especially when those around me are busy accomplishing something.

But just as we said in the previous post, we can get so busy trying to help ourselves out of our situation that we get in God's way and mess with His plans. But more than that, we miss out on an opportunity to witness the miraculous. We're so busy looking at what we're doing that we miss what God is doing. And, God is not the type to shout, "Over here! Look at me! I'm about to do something amazing!" No, He's already told us where our eyes should be, so if we're not paying attention, that's our fault.

I don't want to miss out on God's blessings for my life because I'm not paying attention. I would hate to think that my troubles have me so distracted that I lose sight of who God is and all that He has done and is doing in my life.

I'm reminded of an episode of Doctor Who where these creepy angel statues would come to life whenever you weren't looking at them. In a warning video about the statues, Doctor Who commented, "Don't turn your back.  Don't look away.  And don't blink!" I think that's how we need to be with God. Don't blink. Don't take your eyes off of Him. Don't be distracted by the good or bad things of this world. Just watch God. 

Watch carefully. You don't want to miss what He will do next!

I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.  Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. - Psalm 16:8-9

No comments: