Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, August 25, 2017

The Squirrel and the Hawk

I want to take a short break from our study on the titles of God in the book of Psalms to share with you this particular message.  I wrote this devotion about a week ago and was planning to publish it at a later time, but after yesterday's post about "the helper of the fatherless," I felt this one fit right into that theme, so I decided to publish it today.  I hope you enjoy it.

Jason told me about an event he witnessed while at work a few days ago.  There was a hollow in a large tree in the yard of the church he was cleaning.  He watched as a squirrel hurried up to the hole and began making frantic motions, its arms flailing in all directions.  His first assumption was that the squirrel was attempting to raid a bird's nest before the momma bird returned, but upon closer inspection, he soon realized that was not the case.  The squirrel was the momma, and inside the hole were her little squirrels who, by the amount of fuss taking place, wanted to venture out into the great wide world.  What they didn't know was that there was a hawk sitting in the next tree over, just waiting for one of those little squirrels to leave the shelter of the tree.

The little squirrels fussed with their momma.  I can hear it now.  "Why are you so mean?  Why can't we have a little fun?  What's wrong with us having a little freedom now and then?  You never let us have our own way!"  If only they knew that their dear, sweet momma was putting her own life on the line to protect them from danger.  She placed herself between her children and the enemy, and despite her children thinking she was being mean or controlling, she refused to give in to their cries.  She guarded that hole with her life--literally--and kept her young ones in the safety of the tree until the danger had passed.

I don't know about you, but when Jason told me this story, I got some serious glory bumps.  In fact, I'm getting them again just telling you the story.  Why?  Because I can't help but think of my Heavenly Father.  How many times has He protected me from the enemy?  How often does He place Himself between me and danger?  And yet how many times do I complain, not realizing that His acts are those of love, not cruelty?

This story is a reminder to me that God always has my best interest at heart.  He's not interested in stealing my freedom or bogging me down with a myriad of rules and regulations.  He wants me to have an abundant life, but sometimes that means protecting me from the things I cannot see.  He knows all and sees all, so when I feel He's being overprotective or hindering me from the things I want to do, I would do well to remember this lesson from the squirrel and the hawk.  God loves me, and everything He does is for my good and His glory.  Instead of complaining, I ought to thank Him for loving me so much that He would risk my anger just to keep me safe.  What a loving Father!

Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him. For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust. - Psalm 103:13-14

2 comments:

Glen Follweiter said...

Thanks Jason for your keen eye and inquisitiveness. It is truly a great illustration of how our heavenly Father protects us.
Yes I certainly can relate about getting uptight with God when I don't get my own way but thanks God for blocking the door.
Blessings to you both Dana. And to your godly parents. They truly are a gift from God.
Glen

Dana Rongione said...

Thank you, Glen. Yes, I have much to be thankful for!