Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Who Do You Think I Am? - The Helper of the Fatherless

Thou hast seen it; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless. - Psalm 10:14

I can gladly proclaim that I do not understand what it's like to be fatherless.  I have a wonderful daddy.  He loves me and has always taken care of me.  He does for me what fathers are supposed to do:  love, protect, guide, provide, care for, and much more.  To this day, my daddy comes over every other week to cut our grass because Jason's work schedule makes it difficult for him to get it done.  Even nearing 70, my father is kind to his children (especially me because I'm his favorite, just kidding).

My heart breaks for those who have never known love from an earthly father.  To grow up feeling unwanted, unprotected and unled.  I imagine there is a feeling of longing and one of incompleteness.  After all, families are supposed to have mothers and fathers, and while they can function with only one, things work better with a good mom and a good dad.

To those who fall into this fatherless category, the psalmist reminds you that while you may not have an earthly dad, you can have a Heavenly one.  But what is so remarkable about this phrase "helper of the fatherless" is revealed when you study out the root word for "fatherless."  It literally means "lonely" or "bereaved."  That means we all fall into this category, don't we?  After all, who among us has not felt lonely or bereaved at some point in our lives?  I have no doubt that someone reading this devotion right now is feeling alone and forsaken.  It is not an uncommon state of mind or being.

Fortunately, God is our helper, even during the times we feel all alone, when we think no one cares or no one is there to stand up for us.  God says, "I'm here, and I'll be your helper."  Every time.  We are never alone.  For those of us who are saved, we are never fatherless, for our Heavenly Father is always working on our behalf, doing what good fathers do.  He loves, protects, guides, provides, cares for and so much more.

I could write pages and pages about the many ways my father (and mother, of course) has been a blessing to me.  I could tell you about the things he has done, the ways he has provided, the words he has said and so on.  But as much as He has done for me and as much as he loves me, there is One who loves me more and does more for me than my earthly father could ever do.  I pray you know this Heavenly Father as I do.  He is my helper, and He can be yours too.  


No comments: