Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, September 11, 2008

God Gives Songs in the Night

I'm still reading through the book of Job. (It's really long!) But today, I stumbled upon another verse that made me want to smile and cry at the same time. It's in chapter 35, vs 9. Where is God my maker, who giveth songs in the night? Songs in the night--isn't that what we are often in need of?

The verse reminded me of a song written by Rodney Griffin, a great songwriter and humble Christian. I'm sure he won't mind if I share the words with you.

He loves to hear our praise on our cheerful days
When the pleasant times outweigh the bad by far,
But when suffering comes along,
And we still sing Him songs,
That is when we bless the Father's heart.

God wants to hear you sing
When the waves are crashing 'round you
When the fiery darts surround you
When despair is all you see.
God wants to hear your voice
When the wisest man has spoken
And says "Your circumstance is as hopeless as can be."
That's when God wants to hear you sing.

According to this verse, not only does God want to hear our songs in the night, He even gives us the song to sing. What a blessing! So, in those times of darkness, when you feel you just can't go on, listen closely because God has a song for you!

No comments: