Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Just Be Quiet

Because of the circumstances over the past week, I've been reading in several different passages during my devotion time, but today, I went back to my reading in Job. I began reading in chapter 39 where the Lord is questioning Job, proving that He alone is all-powerful, and He alone is in control. The Lord ends His questioning with this: Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it.

The part I like is Job's answer. Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth. In other words, "I'll shut up now!"

I think we all need that reminder every now and then. Don't we? Often times, we see a situation and think we know the best way to solve it. So, when God leads us in another direction, we argue with Him, stating our points and reasons. At times like that, God has to pull us down from our self-appointed pedestal and say, "Who do you think you are? Do you control the world, or do I?" Umm . . . good point! Who are we to instruct God in the way things should be done?

And, the principle of keeping our mouths shut doesn't stop there. I know we've all had times when we said things that we should have kept to ourselves. You know the routine: the thought pops into your head, you know you shouldn't say it, but your desire to have the last word overcomes all else, and then you blurt it out, immediately regretful. But, it's too late. The harm has already been done. Many times, we would be so much better off if we would learn to keep our mouths shut. If we feel we must have the last word, let's make it a word of encouragement or apology. If that's not possible, it's better to just walk away. Cool off! Let our anger dissipate. But whatever we do, let's keep a reign on our tongue. It can truly be a dangerous weapon.

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. . . a time to keep silence, and a time to speak.
Ecclesiastes 3:1,7b

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!