Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, September 8, 2008

He Hath Made Everything Beautiful


Last Friday, Jason and I decided to hike one of the local trails. I had mentioned to him that I was feeling a little stressed and wanted to get out to clear my head a little. What I meant was a leisurely walk in the park. As you can see from the flier, that was not what we did. Seeing how neither of us are in "top" shape right now and we are both getting over a chest cold, certainly it made sense to hike the most difficult trail we could find. Right?

I thought my heart was literally going to explode. I now fully understand the saying about hearing the blood pounding in your ears. I could not breathe. My legs felt like they had turned to jelly. And this was all within the first five minutes. YIKES! If not for Jason's persuasion, I would have turned around and went to the park. But, he convinced me that the waterfall at the end would be well worth it. I hate it when he's right!

This picture is just a small part of the falls. I couldn't get the entire thing in the picture. It was too tall. I had to crane my head back as far as it would go just to view the entire waterfall. It was splendid. We sat on the rocks with the water flowing all around us and the spray hitting our faces. It was breathtaking. (Not that I had any breath left anyway.) Immediately the thought came to my mind, What an awesome God that He could speak something so magnificent into existence. Then I wondered, if something on earth could be so beautiful, how wonderful is Heaven going to be. That thought brought tears to my eyes (as did the thought that we still had to climb back down the trail.)

If you ever have the opportunity, our area offers many different hiking trails. Some have waterfalls, others excellent views, some wildlife and flora. I would advise starting with some of the trails labeled "easy" and work your way up to "very strenuous." But, I do recommend trying them. The exercise is great, and the rewards are well worth it. Plus, what a great way to open your eyes to the beauty that God has placed here for our enjoyment!

He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.
Ecclesiastes 3:11

No comments: