Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, September 12, 2008

A New Kind of Radio

My post today is a little different than usual. I don't usual promote things on my blog, but this is on my mind, so I thought I would share it with you. I don't know about you, but I can't find anything decent to listen to on the radio. In my truck, I generally just listen to my CD's, but at home, I turn to the internet.

Once again, you must be choosy in picking out a station on the internet, but I have found a couple that I truly enjoy. The first one is The Gospel Station which plays entirely Southern Gospel music with very little commercial interruption (and I mean VERY little). Of course, there are still a few songs on there that I don't exactly like, but for the most part, I really enjoy their music. It's great for when I'm working around the house or exercising.

When I'm writing, I turn on Pandora radio. This is a unique site in that it lets you create your own radio station. You type in an artist or style that you like, and it creates a station for you based on your preferences. Beyond that, it allows you to fine-tune your station. For example, when a song comes on that you really like, with the click of a button you can tell Pandora to find more songs similar to the one you liked. On the flip side, if a song comes on that you don't like, one button click tells Pandora not to play any more songs like that. I have my Pandora radio playing in the background right now. I created a station of soft instrumental music for my enjoyment. Jason created a station of soundtrack music. We both love our stations.

So, why did I think this was important enough to post in my blog? Well, how many times is music mentioned in the Bible? I can't give you an exact number, but I can tell you it is mentioned a lot and, as far as I know, always in a positive way. Music is a gift from God. Music (if it's the right kind) can be a means of worship. Music is stress-relieving. Music can bring forth emotion. Music is important. I truly believe that!

So, if you're having trouble finding music you can appreciate and enjoy, you may want to check out the ones I mentioned. If you don't like them, hey, no hard feelings. I just felt it was important to share this with you.

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.
Ephesians 5:19

No comments: