Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Pride Versus Pride

In my devotional reading this morning, I was reminded of a "revelation" I received several months back. I was preparing for my Sunday School lesson, and the topic was on seeing ourselves as God sees us. The lesson basically contrasted an arrogant, self-sufficient attitude with an attitude of worthlessness and low self esteem. One of the follow-up questions was "what sin is the source of an arrogant, self-reliant attitude?" Duh! Pride. The next question was "what sin is the source of an attitude of worthlessness and low self-esteem?" Hmm. That's a tough one. The answer? Pride.

It's easy to see pride in that person who thinks he is the center of the universe. But, the person who constantly questions his/her self-worth is also exhibiting pride. Why? Well, look at their focus. They are focused on one thing: self. I am not worthy. I am so dumb. I am so worthless. When we are focused on self, whether inflating or deflating, we are full of pride.

That lesson hit me hard because I always thought I was safe from pride because I tend to be of a lower self-esteem. It rocked my boat to find out that I was being just as proud as the person who boasts of their many accomplishments.

So, what does it mean to see ourselves through God's eyes. First of all, we are His creation which means we are under His authority. In other words, it's His way, not our way. Secondly, anything we accomplish, we do so through His power and not our own. If we keep these things in mind, that should help with the arrogant spirit. As for the other, none of us are worthy of God's goodness if we come to Him in and of ourselves. Thankfully, we don't have to. When we look at ourselves, we see our sins and failures. We see a creature unworthy of mercy and grace. However, when God looks at us, He sees His child washed clean in the blood of the Lamb. In His eyes, we are worthy to come before Him.

You see, it's about how He sees us and not how we see ourselves that is important. The book of Psalms does an excellent job in reminding us how precious we are to God and yet how much we need Him. So, when pride causes you to take a warped view of yourself, go to the Psalms and be reminded of how God views you. Trust me. It will be worth your time.

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
Psalm 139:14

No comments: