Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Vengeance is the Lord's

This morning I received the news that a precious couple from the church I used to attend were killed by a hit-and-run. The husband and wife were out for their morning walk when they were both struck by a car, which sped off, leaving them lying dead in the middle of the road. That sickens me! How could someone be so cruel? Were they drunk? Insane? Or just hateful? Somewhere right now, children are grieving the loss of both of their parents. The thought makes me want to weep, and the entire situation literally makes me sick to my stomach.

After hearing the news, my first prayer was for the family. This will not be an easy time for them. My second prayer was that justice would be done. My exact words were, "Lord, I know you are a just God. Please don't let them get away with this."

I'm angry, and my heart goes out to the family. I can't even imagine what they must be going through right now. But, I am comforted by the fact that God is just. I have no doubt that justice will be done. It may not be accomplished the way I would like it to be or the way the family would like it to be, but it will be done. We can also find comfort in the fact that we know we will see this beloved couple again.

Please help me pray for the Carey family during this difficult time. I know they would appreciate it.

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
Romans 12:19

No comments: